[h-e-w] M-x not working

From: Markus Heller
Subject: [h-e-w] M-x not working
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 10:19:45 -0800

Hello all,

I have a peculiar problem with emacs 23.2.1 on Windoze 7 64 bit.

Since yesterday, M-x doesn't work anymore.  By this I mean pressing M-x
has no effect at all.  I can use ESC-x as a substitute, but I'd like to
know what the issue is.

My M key is working, e.g. M-w does what it's supposed to do.

I have started emacs without customization by moving my .emacs to a
different location, without any effect, M-x still doesn't do anything,
while M-w works as advertised.

I'd appreciate any hints on how to solve this mystery.

Thanks and Cheers
Markus