Re: [h-e-w] Multiple versions of Emacs under Windows; How to specify whi

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Multiple versions of Emacs under Windows; How to specify which Emacs should run when file is double-clicked?
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 19:00:06 -0600

Actually, "the usual way" to handle .txt files (or any other
associations you wish) with Emacs is to get (the version you want
of) Emacs started (runemacs) in your Startup file and have a copy
running all the time.  Then you set the file association for the
file type to emacsclient.exe.  That way, whichever version of
Emacs you already have running will function as the server for
the emacsclient process.  If Emacs is not already running, then
emacsclient will itself invoke runemacs to get emacsserver
running - so the instance of emacsclient you associate needs to
be the one in the directory of the Emacs version you prefer (or
else the runemacs.exe that is found first on your load path needs
to be the right one).

Regards,
 David V.

----- Original Message ----- From: MBR