RE: [h-e-w] How to specify the initial dired directory

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] How to specify the initial dired directory
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:09:24 -0700

> I am launching emacs from an Icon (shortcut). There is
> nothing in the in the Start in: field of the icon's properties.

Then put something there. ;-)  Use the directory you want Emacs to consider the
`default-directory' when it starts up.

Here's what I use, as an example:

1. Target:
C:\Emacs-23.2\bin\runemacs.exe --debug-init "C:\my-startup-dired-dir"

2. Start in:
C:\my-startup-dired-dir

#1 tells Windows where the Emacs executable is; tells Emacs to enter the
debugger if there is an error during startup; and tells Emacs to open Dired on
my chosen directory.  (Don't add the dir string if you don't want to start with
Dired.)

#2 tells Windows where to start Emacs, which amounts to telling Emacs what to
use as the `default-directory'.  In my case, I use the same dir that I open with
Dired.

HTH.