Re: [h-e-w] Strange font/frame-height interaction

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Strange font/frame-height interaction
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:29:31 +0200

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 05:24, David Vanderschel <address@hidden> wrote:

> I just installed EmacsW32 on a 64-bit Windows 7 system.
> ran into a strangeness that I do not understand.  There may
> be a bug.
>
> I selected Lucida Console as my default font, and I set the
> size at 11.

Using standard Emacs, not EmacsW32, and doing

  emacs -Q -fn "Lucida Console-11"

I get an 80x38 frame. Is that (38 lines) too large for your monitor?

> I thought it lame of emacs to
> create an initial frame with too many lines to fit on the
> screen.

Out of curiosity, do you have any Emacs.Geometry setting on the
registry? (In HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GNU\Emacs or somesuch.)

> If it is not a bug, can anyone explain what is going on here?

It would be useful to know which version of Emacs, whether the bug
happens with -Q (so no registry, site-local or user-local settings),
and first and foremost if you see the bug with standard Emacs (you can
download a recent binary build for Windows from
http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

    Juanma