Re: [h-e-w] Strange font/frame-height interaction

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Strange font/frame-height interaction
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:09:32 +0200

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I just installed EmacsW32 on a 64-bit Windows 7 system.  I
>> ran into a strangeness that I do not understand.  There may
>> be a bug.
>>
>> I selected Lucida Console as my default font, and I set the
>> size at 11.  With that size, the frame was so large (in
>> height) on startup that the bottom lines were off the
>> screen.  At size 9, it fit.  I thought it lame of emacs to
>> create an initial frame with too many lines to fit on the
>> screen.  (If you go full screen, it always chooses an
>> appropriate height.)  I decided to introduce a
>> default-frame-alist that would set a height that would fit.
>> It did not work.  I was beginning to think that maybe height
>> was no longer a valid parameter for that alist.
>>
>> After discovering that it fit at size 9, I tried size 10.
>> To my surprise, an absurd height that I had left from
>> testing in my alist suddenly took effect.  As far as I can
>> tell, the height parameter in the alist is ignored for sizes
>> 9 and 11, while it is observed for size 10.  This is very
>> difficult to explain.  I am now configured for size 10 and a
>> reasonable height in the alist that does work as advertised.
>>
>> If it is not a bug, can anyone explain what is going on
>> here?
>>
>> I note that if I use text-scale-adjust, it maintains a
>> consistent height in pixels by adjusting the height in
>> lines.  I regard that as good.  OTOH, when I use the Set
>> Default Font menu Option, the height in lines does not
>> change and the frame may become too big to fit.  IMO, this
>> is not good.
>
> I did not follow all that you did - apologies for a quick reading.
>
> I use Lucida Console also, and my default height for it is 14.  I use a
> 10-year
> old average size monitor (small by today's standards), and everything fits
> fine.
> I'm surprised at your description that 11 makes the frame too tall for your
> screen etc., but you didn't say what size screen you have (are you running on
> an
> iPhone? ;-).
>
> I'd say file an Emacs bug and see if someone looking at the bug report can
> help.
> IOW, it sounds like it might be a bug, to me (maybe more than one, given all
> you
> describe).  But I don't know.

Before filing a bug report please try the latest patched version and
if the bug is the the latest unpatched version.

Latest patched version is here (I am going to upload a new version today):

  http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/EmacsW32/test/

The latest unpatched version is always on the download page (I do not
use or test that unless I am looking at a bug).