Re: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 04:49:51 -0400

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> The scratchbox installation has emacsclient installed, and I was
>>> wondering whether it would be possible for me to edit files using
>>> emacsclient and have them open on Emacs running on a different machine -
>>> in this case my Windows install.
>>
>> There are methods in Emacs for editing files via various transports. I
>> don't know if emacsclient knows about them. I find X Windows to be
>> better.
>
> Emacsclient just passes the paths to Emacs, so it should know about the
> same tramp transports as Emacs. More troublesome is getting emacsclient
> on GNU/Linux to talk over TCP/IP (by default it uses local sockets),
> configuring Emacs on Windows to listen for remote connections (by
> default it only responds to local requests for security reasons), and
> remembering to supply the file paths in their remote form that the Emacs
> instance running on Windows can load.

Ok, that makes sense.

> The X server running on Windows route is much easier, and if you use
> the Xming server, you can run rootless, so the X windows appear as
> native Windows on your desktop (I'm not sure if Cygwin/X supports
> this, as Cygwin tends to be a more self contained environment).

Cygwin supports rootless. Here's how I start Cygwin X server:

XWin -clipboard -multiwindow -silent-dup-error &

-multiwindow gives rootless, and the X Windows clipboard is nicely
integrated with the MS Windows clipboard.

Given my recent problems with Cygwin X server, I tried Xming. It kept
crashing. But YMMV.

--
-- Stephe