RE: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows

From: rajesh.jag
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:15:46 +0530

> > Emacs supports ftp and (I'm told) ssh.  So simply start emacs on
> > your Windows client and edit the files directly on the Linux
machine.

> I have been doing it this way for years from NT to Solaris and more
> recently from XP to RedHat Linux, works fine.  No X, no Cygwin, just
> through an ftp connection.  I also heard it's possible through ssh but

> haven't tried it.

I'd like to use ssh from Emacs directly. Anyone have any idea how? I've
tried setting tramp-default-method to "scp" and then using
/address@hidden:/

This just results in tramp waiting for the "remote prompt" for "60
seconds". And then it just hangs until I hit C-g. How do I tell Emacs
where to find ssh? Sorry, I've never used tramp before.

What I liked about the emacsclient approach is that I would be able to
launch the editor directly from within scratchbox, rather than having to
memorize the location of that directory in the host system and ssh to
it.