RE: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows

From: rajesh.jag
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:15:02 +0530

Sorry, I've not been sending replies back to the list. So resending
this.

> As an alternative:
>
> Install Cygwin X server (or other X server).
>
> Use X11 forwarding in your ssh session: 'ssh -X -Y ...'.
>
> Run Emacs on the Linux box, with the display on the Windows box.

I already use ssh -Y ... to login to any *nix machine over ssh. (Do I
need -X?) I prefer it to tools like putty. But I don't want to install
Emacs on the VM. It's already much larger (both disk and memory) than I
would want. Also, putting the extra load of Emacs on the VM's CPU is
something I'd like to avoid.

> Works fine, except that the most recent version of X Windows on Cygwin

> seems to have some bug that makes it very slow (as of a week ago); I'm

> using the "previous" version.

That's good to know. I just upgraded yesterday (was only looking to
install xhost), and have noticed that everything's much slower. I
thought it was just my machine. Will watch for an upgrade.

Regards,
Rajesh J Advani
Wipro Technologies, Chennai