Re: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:30:16 +0800

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

>> The scratchbox installation has emacsclient installed, and I was
>> wondering whether it would be possible for me to edit files using
>> emacsclient and have them open on Emacs running on a different machine -
>> in this case my Windows install.
>
> There are methods in Emacs for editing files via various transports. I
> don't know if emacsclient knows about them. I find X Windows to be
> better.

Emacsclient just passes the paths to Emacs, so it should know about the
same tramp transports as Emacs. More troublesome is getting emacsclient
on GNU/Linux to talk over TCP/IP (by default it uses local sockets),
configuring Emacs on Windows to listen for remote connections (by
default it only responds to local requests for security reasons), and
remembering to supply the file paths in their remote form that the Emacs
instance running on Windows can load.  The X server running on Windows
route is much easier, and if you use the Xming server, you can run
rootless, so the X windows appear as native Windows on your desktop (I'm
not sure if Cygwin/X supports this, as Cygwin tends to be a more self
contained environment).