Re: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 07:41:29 -0400

<address@hidden> writes:

> I have some code I edit in a scratchbox instance on a VMWare virtual
> machine running Ubuntu Linux Server Edition 9.10.
> I ssh to the VM, then start login to scratchbox, and work on the code.

As an alternative:

Install Cygwin X server (or other X server).

Use X11 forwarding in your ssh session: 'ssh -X -Y ...'.

Run Emacs on the Linux box, with the display on the Windows box.

Works fine, except that the most recent version of X Windows on Cygwin
seems to have some bug that makes it very slow (as of a week ago); I'm
using the "previous" version.

> The scratchbox installation has emacsclient installed, and I was
> wondering whether it would be possible for me to edit files using
> emacsclient and have them open on Emacs running on a different machine -
> in this case my Windows install.

There are methods in Emacs for editing files via various transports. I
don't know if emacsclient knows about them. I find X Windows to be
better.

--
-- Stephe