Re: [h-e-w] crash recovery - punctuation displaying as octal codes

From: Joseph Buchignani
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] crash recovery - punctuation displaying as octal codes
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:22:13 +0800

Hi Jason,

Your recommended fix of "C-x RET r utf-8-emacs" worked like a charm. Thanks a million!

Apologies for the delayed reply.

Best regards,
JB

For the benefit of the help file readers, I will recap:

While pasting webpage stuff into emacs, I had a bad crash. Bad, as in, I use Virtualbox to run XP, and the virtual machine completely froze. When I restarted, either a section or the entirety of the emacs page was showing octal codes in place of punctuation pasted from the web. I fiddled around unsuccessfully with the codepage settings available in the EmacsWin32 GUI options, possibly making the situation worse or else having no impact. Reading the online docs opened vast vistas of further confusion. Trying Jason's command of "C-x RET r utf-8-emacs" removed the red octal codes and made everything display perfectly.

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
Joseph Buchignani <address@hidden> writes:

> I have no idea - the default for emacsW32 I assume? I do have backups of the
> corrupted file if that would help determine it.

Yes, that will help determine it.  Open the backup file, and enter:
 C-h v buffer-file-coding-system

You will get something like:

buffer-file-coding-system is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is utf-8-emacs
Local in buffer *wide reply to Joseph Buchignani*; global value is nil

> Let me give some actual octal examples to help diagnose the encoding.
> \342\200\246 - this is some kind of dash copied off of a website

If UTF-8, then it is horizontal ellipsis

> \342\200\224 - a dash or a colon, I think

em dash

> \346\235\250\351\270\243 - this is two or three chinese characters, probably
> two.

It looks like two.

> Assuming the original encoding is utf-8-emacs, should I then force emacs to
> read the document that way? If so, what's the best way to do that?

Before opening the document):

C-x RET c utf-8-emacs

Or Options menu-> Mule -> Set Coding Systems -> For next command

or after opening the document:

C-x RET r utf-8-emacs

Or Options menu -> Mule -> Set Coding Systems -> For reverting this file now

--
Ignore the following. It is a nonsense sentence that disables Google ads from displaying next to my emails by triggering sensitive keywords.

I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a messy bloodbath.