Re: [h-e-w] Re: Cygwin and MS-DOS style paths

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Cygwin and MS-DOS style paths
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:15:39 +0300

> From: Uday S Reddy <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 20:06:53 +0100
>
> But, given that MS-DOS paths and POSIX paths are both reasonably standard, I
> was hoping that Emacs could perhaps be configured to use the right one for
> the right occasion.  I am fairly happy with Cygwin itself.  It is
> low-maintenance and reasonably comprehensive.  Do we have to give up Cygwin
> just because Emacs can't figure out the right format for path names?

If you are happy with Cygwin, why don't you use the Cygwin build of
Emacs?  The current version builds out of the box with Cygwin.

Mixing Cygwin programs and the native Windows build of Emacs is asking
for trouble.  These two are subtly incompatible, not only in the
syntax of file names, but also in handling signals, pipes, pty's, etc.