Re: [h-e-w] Displaying Latin characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Displaying Latin characters
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 01:41:26 -0500

> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 22:55:30 -0500
> From: "John J. Xenakis" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> What's the command or form for getting emacs on Windows to display
> Latin characters?
>
> E.g., I want é (e with acute accent) = (233 decimal) = (e9 hex) =
> (351 octal) to appear as "é", rather than as "\351".

Nothing should be needed.  It should happen by default.

That Emacs in your case displays \351 is an indication that Emacs
thinks this is a raw binary byte, not a Latin-1 character.  So please
tell how did you get that character in your buffer.  If you can
reproduce this at will, please start with "emacs -Q" and describe here
all the steps needed to reproduce this.