Re: [h-e-w] naming .emacs in Win 7

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] naming .emacs in Win 7
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:37:51 +0100

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 21:09, Rob Davenport <address@hidden> wrote:

> The file system will let you create dot files just fine.

More or less.

> You can create the files in Emacs itself

Yes, but the filesystem virtualization will see that C:/.emacs is
really at C:/Users/YourUserName/AppData/Local/VirtualStore.

> or Notepad

A message informs you that you don't have permission to write at C:/
and asks whether you want to save at My Documents instead.

> or on the command-line (using 'copy con' redirected to the dot file you want).

C:\> copy con .emacs
asdf^Z
Access denied.
           0 file(s) copied.

Of course, with the right permissions you could write anywhere. But
these are not the default permissions on Windows 7.

Also, if the OP puts .emacs in %APPDATA%, it will be near .emacs.d/
and most other Emacs-related files.

    Juanma