Re: [h-e-w] Problem of display of emacs under Windows 98

From: John A Pershing Jr
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problem of display of emacs under Windows 98
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:14:19 -0400

Have you tried grabbing the edge/corner of the Emacs window and stretching it out? Or, clicking on the middle icon to maximize the window?

It very well may be that the current Emacs for Windows does not support Win-98, too. I can't verify this, as I haven't run Win-98 in as long as I can remember.

 -jp

Dave Man wrote:
Hi all emacs users,

I am a newbie of emacs and BSD and am very eager to get the hang of
it. I am trying to run the precompiled emacs for windows
(emacs-23.1-bin-i386.zip) on my 10-year-old laptop running Windows 98
SE. The runemacs.exe runs, but the toolbar icons and the main frame
cannot be displayed.
Here is a screenshot:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2573/3949708022_6f3ba092db_o.jpg
Running with -nw option is fine, though. I need the window mode as I
want to use CJK input methods directly.
I have both downloaded and even compiled libxpm.dll (using GCC for
mingw) but to no avail. The laptop is running with 16-bit display
only.
The interesting thing is the same emacs binary runs perfectly under XP
on another newer machine (32-bit display).
What would be the cause of the issue? Any suggestion is much appreciated!

Dave