RE: [h-e-w] Re: mouse wheel button problem on Windows

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Re: mouse wheel button problem on Windows
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:02:04 -0700

> I was going to agree with this.  But then I noticed that my
> driver is set for an exception on runemacs.exe.  (I had to
> look in the registry to find this.)
>
> But before refuting Jason I decided to be daring and remove exceptions
> completely.  The result -- even after restarting the
> computer, Emacs yanks when I press the scroll wheel, even though
> the driver is set to AutoScroll.
> And C-h k reports:
>
> <mouse-2> (translated from <down-mouse-2> <mouse-2>) at that
> spot runs the command mouse-yank-at-click which is an
> interactive compiled Lisp function in `mouse.el'.
>
> I then set an exception for emacs.exe to disable clicking the
> scroll wheel. This results in no action in Emacs when I click
> the wheel.
>
> I'm participating in this thread because I do recall having a
> mouse wheel problem with an earlier version of Emacs (perhaps
> 20.7?). But it seems that Emacs should be able to handle the
> mouse wheel click event without the need
> for any exception from the driver.
>
> Drew, let me know if you can think of something you want me
> to try on my system.  I'll also check this out on my home computer.

Thanks for the info, Ray. It sounds like you've confirmed what I found. `None'
(`Disabled' in your version), at any level (general or just for `emacs.exe')
means no event is sent to Emacs.

But of course for you it works. ;-) As it did for me, until recently. A setting
of AutoScroll works for you, and it used to work for me. For me, a setting of
AutoScroll still yanks, but it also initiates autoscroll.

Guess I'll need to find a way to replace the driver I have with a generic one.
But I'm not sure how to do that.

Thx - Drew