[h-e-w] Slow display update

From: andy . ling
Subject: [h-e-w] Slow display update
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:53:28 +0100

I have just updated to the latest emacs 23.1.1 from 21.3 on WinXP and I'm
trying to make things as familiar as I can.

In general everything works just fine, the only problem I have noticed is
the speed of response to key presses. If I hold down the cursor key the
cursor sticks and jumps half a page at a time rather than a line at a
time.

I have tracked down the reason for this to the font I am using. I have
been using the 6X13 font since it was posted here several years ago. If I
make this my default font, then the response of emacs becomes very
sluggish.

My .emacs has the lines

(setq default-frame-alist '((height . 66) (width . 114)
                            (menu-bar-lines . 1)
                            (cursor-color . "red")
                            (scroll-bar-width . 11)
                            (top . 72) (left . 1500)
                            (font .
"-*-6X13-medium-r-*-*-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1")
                            ))

Commenting out the "font" line makes it all work at full speed.

So is this a problem with emacs or the font? And what is the best way to
get emacs to either use this font or a similar one without suffering the
slow response?

Thanks for any help

Andy Ling

--

Quantel is the trade name used by Quantel Holdings Limited and its
subsidiaries.  Quantel Holdings Limited is registered in England & Wales.