Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32 cmd-shell starts fail

From: Nguyen Anh Phu
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32 cmd-shell starts fail
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 00:29:59 +0700

Hi Lennart,
I'm sorry for late reply.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Lennart
Borgman<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Nguyen Anh Phu<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just installed Emacs-23-CvsP090630-EmacsW32-1.58 and everything
>> seems to work well except one thing that I cannot start cmd-shell,
>> error message say: Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil
>
> Hi Nguyen,
>
> How do you try to start the cmd shell? Do you mean that you do "M-x
> cmd-shell"?

Yes, I tried to do "M-x cmd-shell".

> In that case please note that cmd-shell is not a command defined in
> Emacs. It is defined in w32shell.el that comes with EmacsW32.
>
> However it should work. It works for me. Can you turn on
> debug-on-error and see if you can get a back trace with more
> information?

I'm not sure how to get back trace?
I enabled global debug-on-error (in .emacs), then issue command "M-x
cmd-shell", in mini buffer it just says "Wrong type argument: listp,
"d:/apps/Emacs/EmacsW32/gnuwin32/bin/""
"D:/apps/Emacs" is where I installed EmacsW32

Clicking on that mini buffer, it show other text as below:

Adding d:/apps/Emacs/EmacsW32/lisp/ to load-path
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Wrong type argument: listp, "d:/apps/Emacs/EmacsW32/gnuwin32/bin/"

Here is my .emacs file:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(debug-on-error t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

> Could you also try just "M-x shell"?

"M-x shell" works fine, i got Windows's cmd shell after entering that command.

Thanks,

--
Nguyen Anh Phu