Re: [h-e-w] Building Emacs from CVS

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Building Emacs from CVS
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:24:20 +0800

Konstantin wrote:
Hi,

Install gcc, from mingw.org. If you have already installed it, then you probably need to add its bin directory to your PATH.

I've done it. I am attempting it with 2 versions of gcc:
gcc-full-4.4.0-mingw32-bin-2
gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3

switchig between them by changing PATH to it's bin folders.

So, gcc-full-4.4.0-mingw32-bin-2 fails with following message:

C:\Temp\emacs\nt>configure.bat
Checking for 'cp'...
Checking for 'rm'...
Checking whether 'gcc' is available...
gcc: CreateProcess: No such file or directory
Checking whether 'cl' is available...
"cl" Unknown command.

and gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3 fails with following message:

C:\Temp\emacs\nt>configure.bat
Checking for 'cp'...
Checking for 'rm'...
Checking whether 'gcc' is available...
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': Invalid argument
Checking whether 'cl' is available...
"cl" Unknown command.

In the first case, you appear to be missing gcc iteself, or perhaps an essential DLL it requires (read the list prerequisites on the MinGW site - or reinstall from gcc-full-4.4.0-mingw32-bin.tar.lzma, which should contain all the dependencies). In the second case, you are missing the assembler, which is part of GNU binutils and is a prerequisite for gcc.