RE: [h-e-w] Installation problem with 22.2 and 22.3

From: Francis Wright
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Installation problem with 22.2 and 22.3
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:45:18 -0000

I've never found this necessary.

>      4- Extract .zip file with 7zip under "C:\Program Files\" folder
> where a folder named "emacs-2X.X" created.

The common factor in your failed attempts appears to be that you installed
from a .zip file (rather than a .tar.gz file). Maybe 7zip is messing up the
zip extraction. I use Windows' built in zip facilities: double-click the zip
archive and select "Extract all files" from the task pane or File menu in
Explorer. I also install into C:\NTEmacs\. This works for me on both XP and
Vista. Installing programs ported from Unix into a path containing spaces
may cause problems (as may installing into "Program Files" on Vista, for
other reasons).

Good luck!  Francis