[h-e-w] Re: 23.0.60; vc-git and tramp interference on EmacsW32

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: 23.0.60; vc-git and tramp interference on EmacsW32
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:56:57 +0100

Nicola Archibald <address@hidden> writes:

> Attached is the tramp trace for a tramp session using vc-git with the
> reported behaviour.
>
> I tried to see if vc-hg triggered the same behaviour, it
> doesn't. Given that the ^M's only start appearing following the first
> use of git ls-files,
> I imagine that is what is changing the terminal settings somehow...
>
> The remote host is running archlinux, but I have tested it on a ubuntu
> 8.04 machine with a clone of the repository, and it exhibits the same
> behaviour.
>
> The git repository was initially created on windows, which I suspect
> may be part of the issue - after all, this does look like CRLF issue
> somewhere.

Thank you for this. Given your hint, I can reproduce the problem
now. I've added ^M eol to a file in a git repository. Opening the file
via Tramp, I have exactly the same problem as you've described. Even
when my local machine is running Ubuntu.

I still have no clue why this happens, but now I can debug it on my
own. By this, I have a chance to find the cause of the problem.

Best regards, Michael.