[h-e-w] Re: 23.0.60; vc-git and tramp interference on EmacsW32

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: 23.0.60; vc-git and tramp interference on EmacsW32
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:49:31 +0100

Nicola Archibald <address@hidden> writes:

> When using Tramp connections to a remote unix system, with vc-git
> enabled, while browsing in the source
> tree of a git repository, the use of 'git ls-files' produces strange,
> unwanted, behaviour that interferes
> with the functioning of ido-mode and possibly others.
>
> Specifically, once vc-git has identified that the remote directory is
> part of a git repository, it
> starts using 'git ls-files -c -z --' to obtain file information
> instead of the normal method of ls/stat.

That is not "instead of". vc-git uses this command in function
`vc-git-registered'.

> Unfortunately, every filename that is returned this way seems to have
> a ^M appended onto the end of
> each filename and directory name, confusing the ssh connection into
> appending ^M onto every line,
> breaking and subsequently ido-mode's file browsing.

Hmm. I cannot reproduce it here (using "GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1
(i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-11-08 on LENNART-69DE564"). The remote
machine runs Ubuntu 8.10.

However, it looks like a changed tty on the remote side. I don't see
where it shall occur, but maybe you can send the whole Tramp traces
(tramp-verbose set to 8 shall be sufficient).

> I'm unsure if this is a bug in vc-git, tramp, emacsw32, or 'git
> ls-files', but I imagine that filtering spurious ^Ms in tramp is
> probably the easiest workaround.

Not so simple, unfortunately. There might be cases, where an ^M
matters. Just filtering it out is not the solution; Tramp tries to set
the remote tty properly therefore.

Have you experienced this with other vc backends as well? If not, we
shall investigate vc-git in more detail.

Best regards. Michael.