RE: [h-e-w] problems with RCS rcsdiff and checkout co.exe in emacs 22.3.

From: Tolkin, Steve
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] problems with RCS rcsdiff and checkout co.exe in emacs 22.3.1
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:09:39 -0500

Thanks to Eli's suggestion I have more useful information about the
problem, but I still have not solved it.

It does not occur when I use the runemacs.exe program from a DOS box.
For example this works correctly:
  cd c:\emacs\bin
  runemacs

I discovered this by first doing runemacs -Q , then runemacs -q , then
just runemacs .  Also, if after runemacs -q or -Q I run my emacs init
file it still works correctly. (Note its name starts with an underscore
not a dot as is usual)
  load-file ~/_emacs.elc

The problem only occurs when I start emacs using the mouse: Start |
Programs | Gnu Emacs | Emacs
The Properties for the last node above says in part:
  C:\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe
Which is the right place.

One possible cause of the problem is that I first unzipped the
installation into c:\emacs-22.3
and then ran the addpm.exe program in bin.  When I decided things were
working OK I renamed the top directory to c:\emacs and then run addpm
again.
I suspect something bad happened as a result of this.  I think this
should have worked, based on the install documentation at
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Installing-Emacs.html which
also says there is no uninstall program.   (I think I want something
that will reverse the action of addpm .)

I ran regedit and looked for the string "emacs" in all the places in the
registry but I did not notice anything suspicious, but I might have
missed something.

Then I thought the problem might be caused by something in
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch, but even after I deleted all 4 of these files the
problem occurred.

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch>dir *emacs*
11/14/2008  01:11 PM            39,522 EMACS.EXE-02239F13.pf
11/13/2008  01:03 PM            44,668 EMACS.EXE-19E601C9.pf
11/14/2008  01:11 PM             6,544 RUNEMACS.EXE-0F338798.pf
11/13/2008  01:03 PM             5,946 RUNEMACS.EXE-37A43BDE.pf

Eli also asked: But the files inside the RCS/ subdirectory do have the
,v suffix, right?

The files in my RCS directory do NOT end with ",v".   Is that a clue?  I
might have done something a long time ago to prevent that, but I cannot
find anyplace.   There is no environment variable that seems relevant
and I do not seem to have any files like rcs.ini or .rcs etc.  But maybe
there is some such configuration file.   Any ideas about that?

Thanks,
Steve