Re: [h-e-w] Help with scrolling - Emacs 22.3.1 windows

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Help with scrolling - Emacs 22.3.1 windows
Date: 07 Nov 2008 22:19:06 +0000

On Friday, November 07, "Augusto Pedroza" <address@hidden> wrote:
>I can scroll down with the mouse "wheel" in the first
>windows only even when I have selected the second
>window.

I am running an older version of emacs, but I, too,
observe somewhat surprising behaviour with mouse-wheel
scrolling in the presence of horizontally split
windows.  Once you have started scrolling in one
window, the same window will continue to scroll with
the mouse wheel independent of which window the mouse
pointer is hovering over.  However, if you stop
scrolling and wait for a short interval (about one
second), then, the next time you turn the scroll
wheel, the window then under the mouse pointer is the
one that will start scrolling.  In particular, the
window which scrolls is independent of which window is
selected.

(Typically, if you click in a window to select it,
then, by the time you try to scroll with mouse pointer
still in same window, enough time will have passed
since you last scrolled that the newly selected window
is the one that will be scrolled.  I can get the
surprising behaviour after a click only if I really
work at it.)

Though this behaviour is somewhat surprising, I can
live with it.  Indeed, it may well have been a
conscious design choice.  However, I have failed to
find a parameter (e.g., the time interval after which
switching windows is possible) which might control
this behaviour.  The fact that the window reported as
being associated with a scroll event may not actually
change immediately when the mouse pointer moves into a
new window must result from something embedded down in
the low-level mouse handling routines.  It is not
reflected in the higher level code (w32-handle-scroll-
bar-event) which ultimately handles a given scrolling
event.

Regards,
  David V.