Re: [h-e-w] Rant on speed and stability problems with EmacsW32.

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Rant on speed and stability problems with EmacsW32.
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 01:34:24 +0200

Nicolas Buduroi wrote:
Hi, I'm a Emacs user who recently got to work on Windows. So here's my
little rant: First thing I installed on my machine is EmacsW32, but
I'm incredibly disappointed by it's horrible startup speed and the

Bug reports usually provide more info than rants ;-) ...

How long time does it take on you computers? What version of windows are you running?

fact that sometimes it doesn't even start, it just hang there with a
blank screen.

What do you mean with a blank screen?

I've tried it on many different computers, but it's
always the same thing, the "Emacs Client" window that appear on start
up really got lots of problems.

So please tell about those then.

I wonder if you have a firewall that causes trouble. Emacs client communicates with the Emacs through TCP/IP.

I've already tried to start Emacs
directly, but there's some missing features.

What features?

I'm getting so desperate,
I'm looking to learn Vim!!!

That does not look very desperate. I am using Viper within Emacs all the time and I think it is comfortable.

I really can think of any reason for such slowness. We're talking
about 20+ years old software guys!!! On a modern machine it should
start up nearly instantly.

Oh! And I really don't like seeing 'Waiting for Emacs to start' during
5 seconds when it is already started and usable.

I think it is 2 seconds actually. If you see it for 5 seconds after Emacs is ready then something is wrong on your pc.

I'll try the Cygwin version for now...