Re: [h-e-w] Adjusting Emacs, please help

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Adjusting Emacs, please help
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 00:10:58 +0300

> Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:53:03 -0700 (PDT)
> From: TriKri <address@hidden>
>

> >   M-x set-variable RET tab-width RET 4 RET
> >

> M-x set-variable, that could be a useful command, thanks! Unfortunately that
> doesn't help me now, cause I don't insert tabs to indent, but let emacs
> insert a number of spaces. That number is independent of the tab width.

In that case, you should read the node "Customizing Indentation" in
the CC Mode manual (it comes with Emacs).  c-basic-offset is probably
the first thing to try, but the above node has much more in store,
including a complete interactive customization of indentation in all C
constructs.

> > Btw, is there any reason you couldn't find all this in the manuals
> > that come with Emacs?
> >

> What manuals, do you mean those in the info catalog? They aren't especially
> user friendly by my opinion.

I advise you to get used to the Info manuals, they have a lot of
useful information, easily accessible through the `i' index-searching
command.

> What file should I start reading?

The basics of the Info system (in info.info), then the Emacs manual
and (in your case) the CC Mode manual.