[h-e-w] Re: EmacsW32: Unable to save (sporadic)

From: Jonathan Roes
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: EmacsW32: Unable to save (sporadic)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:19:37 -0400

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Jonathan Roes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi emacs-windowsers,
>
> Sometimes when I try to save with C-x C-s (and also manually with M-x
> save-buffer), I get an error the following error in the minibuffer:

No longer sporadic!  I pasted something with a funky unicode character
into my buffer.  Simple test case is to put the following into your
buffer and try to save:

'

Here's what describe-char says about it:

        character: ' (8217, #o20031, #x2019)
preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
       code point: 0x2019
           syntax: .    which means: punctuation
         category: c:Chinese h:Korean j:Japanese
      buffer code: #xE2 #x80 #x99
        file code: not encodable by coding system undecided-dos

Now that last line may be the hint as to why it fails to save.  M-x
set-buffer-file-coding-system RET utf-8-emacs RET

And saving is now possible.  Sorry to bug the list.  Hopefully someone
else will find this and it will help them though :)

Jonathan Roes