Re: [h-e-w] Please help with install problem : elisp stuff not found

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Please help with install problem : elisp stuff not found
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:45:59 +0100

Ronald Fischer wrote:
This is certainly not the case: The zip file contains all files flat, no
directories.

What software did you use to unpack the zip file? The zip file on the official FTP site does indeed contain subdirectories, but in some unpacking software you may need to explicitly tell it to build the directory tree.

Next I observed that emacs looks for the el files in a certain search
path, which
does not exist on my system (i.e. C:\emacs etc.), so my guess is that
one has to
set some environment variable to denote the emacs base directory.

I think this is a fallback for when the directory ..\lisp (relative to emacs.exe) does not exist. If you have installed a very old version of Emacs before (19.x, and maybe 20.1/20.2), you may need to run addpm.exe to update old hardcoded paths in the registry, but as a fresh install running addpm.exe is optional.