[h-e-w] Please help with install problem : elisp stuff not found

From: Ronald Fischer
Subject: [h-e-w] Please help with install problem : elisp stuff not found
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:32:40 +0200

Hello,

I downloaded emacs-22.2-bin-i386.zip and unpacked it to a directory
(C:\prog\gnu_emacs).
When I double-click on emacs.exe, I get the error message which you can
see on the
screenshot at this web page:

  http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/408/mwsnapscreenshot006ws3.jpg

As advised by the message, I read README.W32 and found there the
following surprising
sentence:

  " Along with this file should be six subdirectories (bin, etc, info,
  lisp, lock, site-lisp)"

This is certainly not the case: The zip file contains all files flat, no
directories.

Next I observed that emacs looks for the el files in a certain search
path, which
does not exist on my system (i.e. C:\emacs etc.), so my guess is that
one has to
set some environment variable to denote the emacs base directory.
Unfortunately,
README.W32 does not say anything about this topic, and also this would
not explain
the missing directories (bin, etc, info and so on).

My guess is that the README.W32 which comes with the zip file is
outdated. Could
someone give me a hint on how to get it running?

Ronald

--
Ronald Fischer <address@hidden>
+  If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,