[h-e-w] EmacsW32: Submit bug report about TRAMP?

From: Ingersoll, Nelson
Subject: [h-e-w] EmacsW32: Submit bug report about TRAMP?
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:16:05 -0600

Hi,

   I picked up and installed Emacs 23.0 from the EmacsW32 site.  As it stands I
cannot use this iteration of Emacs because TRAMP is buggy and doesn't leave
when invited to.  Specifically TRAMP imposes its own file interpretation
standards which cannot handle VMS file names and directories via FTP.  For
probably +99% of all users this isn't an issue.  Most users don't have a clue
what VMS is.  And obviously neither does TRAMP.  But this old gray-beard knows
VMS.  And supports VMS as well as Tru64, HPUX, Linux (pick your flavor),
Solaris, and Windows.

   I have tried both W32 Emacs 23 version Emacs-23-CvsP080325-EmacsW32-1.56.exe
and Emacs-23-CvsU080419-EmacsW32-1.57.exe.

   I used to use ANGE-FTP.  When ANGE-FTP was consumed by TRAMP I could at
least force TRAMP to get out of the way and stay out of the way by putting the
command "(setq tramp-default-method "ftp")" into the .emacs/init.el file.
Alternatively I could eXecute the command "tramp-unload-tramp" within Emacs.
Alas, those techniques no longer work.  All that happens now is TRAMP
complains, maddeningly, "tramp-dissect-file-name: Not a Tramp file name: ...".

   Not being able to perform functions previously performed handily by now
deprecated code is, essentially, a regression.  ANGE-FTP has been consumed
whole and deprecated by TRAMP; yet TRAMP can't perform as well as ANGE-FTP.
ANGE-FTP could handle environment variables and could handle VMS file names.
Plus it was much faster to get a file using ANGE-FTP than TRAMP.  But hey, at
least TRAMP's a pretty harlot.

   So I need to file a bug report.  Where's the line?

- Nelson
Do I sound bitter?  Annoyed?  I am.