Re: [h-e-w] Extremely slow file name completion for remote drives

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Extremely slow file name completion for remote drives
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 06:20:29 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:29:24 -0700
>
> > Meanwhile I've puzzled out what caused my problem.
> > w32-get-true-file-attributes now defaults to t!
>
> Interesting. So why is the default now t?

Because the machines are nowadays fast enough to make the delay
negligible in most cases.

Note that for the CVS trunk, I will soon write code to get the owner
and group of every file (instead of attributing them all to the
current user of Emacs).  This code will also be conditioned by
w32-get-true-file-attributes.

> What does a value of t mean for FAT32 volumes - does it still slow things
> down,
> or does if have no performance impact? If the former, couldn't this be made to
> act as if nil for FAT32 volumes?

The attributes are important on FAT32 volumes as well, only the link
count is always 1.  So I don't think the default should be different
on FAT32.  The file ownership code might be skipped on FAT32, since
the information is not recorded there, but before I write it that way,
I need to convince myself that the delay in getting the information is
longer than the delay needed to figure out whether the file is on a
FAT32 volume or not.