Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 23.x for windows from SVN

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 23.x for windows from SVN
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:48:34 +0000

krono wrote:

Hello, is it possible to get and run Emacs 23 for windows?

I know It is still early beta stage, but I want to give it a shot

Historically, the Emacs developers have called what others call "beta" a "pretest". Emacs 22.2 is currently in pretest, and can be downloaded from http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/. Emacs 23 is not at that stage yet, it is still under development. But you can get it from CVS, by following the instructions here:

   http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

Once you have the sources, read nt/INSTALL carefully, as there are a couple more steps you need to do before you compile.

Also, what do I need to do for compile it to my system?

gcc and GNU make, which you can get from www.mingw.org, versions of cp and rm (GNU coreutils, if not from mingw.org, then from gnuwin32.sourceforge.net or a number of other sources - we need these files because the native versions of copy and delete take different arguments on different versions of Windows, so getting the makefiles right using them is a pain). Apart from make, you can also use the Cygwin tools (make does not work because it generates Cygwin style fake paths, which native Windows programs don't understand).

Also recommended are the image libraries, especially libXpm which is required for color icons in the toolbar, and color splashscreen image - be sure to get the development files too, all of these can be downloaded from gnuwin32.sourceforge.net. For libXpm, you can also download the more recent version from ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/libXpm-3.5.7-w32-src.zip, and compile it yourself.

If you choose to skip this