RE: [h-e-w] Emacs 22.1 Installation on Windows XP

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Emacs 22.1 Installation on Windows XP
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:25:03 -0800

> I am attempting to install Emacs 22.1 on Windows XP.
> I downloaded and unpacked the binary zip file.
> Thereafter I invoked runemacs.exe. The Emacs editor
> comes up; however, I find that I when I do a "dired",
> the cursor does not seem to recognize "~" or do the
> appropriate auto-completion for file or folder location.

> My goal is to have Emacs 22.1 automatically recognize
> my home directory upon start up so that I can begin
> using "org-mode".

Please don't use HTML mail for this mailing list; use plain text.

1. Set the HOME environment variable to you your home folder: Right-click My
Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Environment Variables > User
variables for Ramu Iyer > New (or Edit, if you already have a HOME
variable).

2. Create a shortcut to the file runemacs.exe.

3. Right-click the shortcut > Properties > Shortcut tab. Type your preferred
directory (e.g. your home directory) into "Start in".

4. Optional: If you want Emacs to start in Dired mode in that folder, change
the Target field by appending the directory: e.g.

C:\Emacs-22.1\bin\runemacs.exe --debug-init "C:\your\home\directory"

(The --debug-init is also optional.)

5. Use the shortcut to start emacs - double-click it.

HTH.