[h-e-w] Emacs 22.1 and antivirus programs

From: poti
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs 22.1 and antivirus programs
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:05:22 -0500

There may be an issue with Emacs 22.1 for Windows and
antivirus program that is not covered in the FAQ and
that I have not found discussed.

I witnessed a laptop becoming unresponsive when running Emacs from a
DVD, I have seen Emacs running from DVD freeze when left open and
unused for some time an a lab PC, and a user has reported that his
laptop became 'very slow' after unpacking emacs onto his hard drive
and that he was later told he had a 'trojan that was bringing in
friend viruses.' Recently I was at a PC using Emacs that I had just
downloaded when the PC became unresponsive.  Dropping into Task
Manager, I found that McShield.exe and VsTskMgr.exe were alternating
taking full system resources until I removed Emacs.  These are
components of McAfee VirusScan. This last experience makes me suspect
there may have been something to the earlier reports and experiences
related to an interaction between virus scanners and Emacs.

I do not own a PC and have no experience with virus scanners, so
advice on this would be welcome.  In particular, confirming if there
is such a problem and, if so, advice on how a user with a portable
version of Emacs might avoid hangs when going to a new PC would be
greatly appreciated.