Re: [h-e-w] MS Windows Keybinding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] MS Windows Keybinding
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:19:29 +0200

> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:23:22 +0100
> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> > FWIW, I'm quite opposed to low-level keyboard hooks, because they
> > bring in an enormous complexity when one wants to deal with non-ASCII
> > keyboard input.
>
> I do not believe that.

That's a strange way of convincing.  I'm talking from actual
experience here; saying that it's a lie or a dream is not a good way
of learning from experience.

> It does not affect other keyboard keys.

Of course, it does.  You examine each key and decide which ones to
handle and which not.  But at that low level looking at an individual
keystroke is not good enough for that decision, when some other
software, perhaps in Windows itself, has hooked the keyboard at a
similarly low level, or lower.  IOW, you could easily err to recognize
what the user is typing, because you don't know enough, at that low
level, about higher-level translations of the key sequence being
typed.