Re: [h-e-w] FTP problems with Emacs 22

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] FTP problems with Emacs 22
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:02:36 +0200

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:03:10 -0400
>
> >From my PC's Emacs I daily access files, through "ftp", on a remote Linux
> server, running Emacs as well, this was working as a charm in 21.3, and on
> previous versions of Emacs, but won't work on 22.1.1, here is what I do:
>
> C-x d      ;; then in the mini-buffer I enter my user name and path to the
> Linux server.
>
> /address@hidden:/home/jeg002/splus/Splus
>                 ;; I ** instantly ** get a "login failed" message in the
> mini buffer
>                 ;; and the *Messages* buffer displays the following.
>
> tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using ssh...
> tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
> tramp: Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
> tramp-process-actions: Login failed

Emacs 22 uses a different package to fetch remote files.  It tries
using ssh, and I'm guessing that either the remote machine doesn't
support ssh logins, or you don't have your ssh login set up correctly.

If you just want to continue using FTP, try this:

  C-x d /ftp:address@hidden:/home/jeg002/splus/Splus RET

> In my ".emacs" file I have:
>
> (setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name        ;; works with emacs 21 and ange-ftp
>       (if (w32-using-nt)
>                (progn
>                  (if (file-exists-p "c:/Emacs/i386/ftp.exe")   ;; nt and
> w2000
>                    "c:/windows/system32/ftp.exe"               ;; xp
>                    ))
>              "c:/windows/ftp.exe"))                            ;; 95/98/ME

So if c:/Emacs/i386/ftp.exe exists, you run c:/windows/system32/ftp.exe?
Somehow, this doesn't look right to me...