Re: [h-e-w] Re: Unable to use Terminus bdf font under ntemacs 23

From: Yu-ning Feng
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Unable to use Terminus bdf font under ntemacs 23
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 00:21:56 +0800

On 9/18/07, Phil Betts <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is not new.  Exactly the same happens in:
>
> GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE
>

> This is purely a guess, but it looks like a native Windows function
> is being called to display a string of characters, and that function
> doesn't understand BDF fonts.  Whereas the character under the cursor
> is handled by an internal function which does understand BDF.

Strangely, the latin fixed-font bdf (the "intlfont" refered in emacs
windows faq) works well.

> This may also explain why using ClearType and/or italics can cause
> fragments of characters to be left behind if they are being drawn
> using a Windows function, then erased by an internal function with a
> slightly different idea of the rendered glyph's size/position.

 I do suffer from this, also.

> Have you tried a TTF version of the BDF font?  If the one on the
> page you referenced doesn't look good (you do need to ensure that you
> only use sizes that don't require scaling), there's a link to a page
> with only the bitmapped versions.  This works for me although each
> size is a separate font which is a bit messy.
>
> Phil

I know that ttf version. 16 pixel is clear. Unfortunately, the
-raster-* fonts do not work for me (any thing I should take care?).

However, I do hope bdf fonts support is good. There are a few pretty
bdf font out there (including an opensource chinese font).

Thanks very much for the answer.
--
Yu-ning Feng