Re: [h-e-w] Windows Vista M-x shell crash - start-process-internal probl

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows Vista M-x shell crash - start-process-internal problem
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:35:49 +0300

> Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:30:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Tom Popovich <address@hidden>
>

> OK, When I try M-x shell  we I get this stack dump
>  Error:  Lisp error: (file-error "Searching for program" "Invalid argument"
> "C:\\Windows\\system32\\cmd.exe")

Can you run Emacs under a debugger (GDB if Emacs is compiled with GCC
or Visual Studio or some other MS debugger if it was compiled with
MSVC)?  If you can, please step with a debugger into Fstart_process
and see what is the Windows error code (returned by GetLastError)
after the call to CreateProcess.

I'm guessing that Vista doesn't like the way we invoke the shell, but
without the explicit error code it's hard to tell what exactly is the
problem.  EINVAL (which produces "Invalid argument" is not a native
Windows error code and is not descriptive enough to figure out the
reason.