[h-e-w] RE: Emacs not receiving C-M-right from keyboard

From: Drew Adams
Subject: [h-e-w] RE: Emacs not receiving C-M-right from keyboard
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 23:39:58 -0700

> I have a new Dell Latitude D620 laptop. I have everything,
> including Emacs, installed identically to the way I had it on
> my old machine. However, the key sequences `C-M-right',
> `C-M-left', `C-M-up', and `C-M-down' are
> apparently not being sent to Emacs from the keyboard of the
> new machine.
>
> In emacs -Q (it doesn't matter which Emacs version), `C-h k'
> followed by using `C-M-right' still waits for me to hit a
> key - the `C-M-right' is not seen by Emacs at all. Opening a
> dribble file shows the same thing:
> `C-M-right' key sequences are not recorded.
>
> I've looked through the Emacs doc. I've tried to google for
> something about this, but I haven't found anything. Anyone
> know what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks.

My thanks to Peter Povinec for the solution, which he found here:
http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=68720.

These are hotkeys that come from a recent Intel graphic chip. The
C-M-<arrow> keys actually rotate the display!

Here's how to turn off all such graphic hot keys, for others who might be
interested:

Right-click the desktop > Settings tab > Advanced > Click the bar across the
top, behind the tabs (the bar is labeled "Intel(R) Graphics Media
Accelerator Driver for Mobile") > Graphics Properties... > Hot Keys >
uncheck Enable Hot Keys > OK > OK > OK.

Whew! Thanks, Peter. Crazy, huh? - Drew