[h-e-w] issues with 22.1's new xpm support

From: rwalker
Subject: [h-e-w] issues with 22.1's new xpm support
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:01:45 +1200

Running "emacs" or "runemacs" from a Cygwin shell can cause ntemacs to
hang, showing an empty, white, unresponsive window.

I tracked the problem down to my having Cygwin's libXpm.dll in my bash
PATH (useful because I use Cygwin's xterm, etc.).

My solution was to download xmp4.dll from sourceforge
(http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/downlinks/xpm-bin-zip.php, extract the
DLL from the bin) and place it in the ntemacs bin directory.

Of course, I'd much rather have not had to deal with this in the first
place.  I run with tool-bar-mode set to nil, so the xpm support is a
wasted feature for me...  Is there a way to disable it or to make it
more predictable (e.g. install the necessary DLLs with ntemacs)?

In an attempt to disable this feature, I edited the emacs.exe binary
looking for the code that explicitly loads the XPM DLL.  My thought was
that I'd twiddle the strings used to call LoadLibrary() so that the xpm
DLLs always failed to load.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find these
strings (in any encoding).  How exactly does this feature work?

Thanks,
Rob