[h-e-w] Images in W32 build and starttls/smtps question

From: Filip Stokkeland
Subject: [h-e-w] Images in W32 build and starttls/smtps question
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:06:41 +0100

Hi!
I realize there's a thread on this issue (From December 2006), but
since I just joined the list, I don't know how to easily reply to that
thread, as I don't see the Message-ID and References header in the web
archive.

The thread was had subject "image support in the newer EmacsW32
builds". I just checked out emacs from CVS and built it using MinGW
yesterday, on WinXP SP2. I bootstrapped and built everything using
"make bootstrap" and mingw32-make for the rest. I also compiled vm
into the same folder hierarchy, and it works. But the icons seem to be
monocromatic or what you call it (just grey and black), both for the
emacs toolbar and for the vm icons. The problem mentioned in the
thread I refer to, tagging the pbm's as binaries in CVS was said to be
the problem and that was fixed. So when I got a similar problem
yesterday, I guess something else must be the problem, right? Maybe I
need to install some libraries (or tell configure or MinGW where to
find those libs)? Any idea?

The other challenge I have, is getting vm to send via smtps, using a
setup like this:
 (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
       send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
       smtpmail-smtp-service 587
       smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com"
                                     587
                                     "address@hidden"
                                     nil)))

But (tried both 465 and 587), but I get a starting starttls message
and done (I'm on a different computer right now and can't remember the
exact words), and then everything hangs (the entire emacs process gets
unresponsive or incredibly slowed down). Maybe there's something smart
I can do to turn on some extensive logging/debugging to a file or
something? (I'm not able to see the Messages buffer, since Emacs does
not respond.)

(I'm sorry to bother you if this has been discussed recently. Just
point me to an URL or something, and I'll be quiet ... :))

--
Filip