Re: [h-e-w] UK date format in Dired

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] UK date format in Dired
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:43:58 +0200

> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:20:08 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> And since the Windows port of Emacs always sets "LANG" to the current
> Windows language identifier, we end up never using the value of
> ls-lisp-format-time-list, but always use the ISO format instead.
>
> The comment above says it's a feature: it makes the columns line up,
> which would not be guaranteed if we used the localized format (since
> the length of localized month names could be anything).

One way to work around this would be to install a port of GNU ls, try
it with the --time-style=locale option, and if that produces the
format you want, then disable ls-lisp and use the ported ls as
follows:

 . Set ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program to t:

       (setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program t)

 . Customize dired-listing-switches to "-al --time-style=locale"
   (Note: no D in the switches, as someone suggested on
   gnu.emacs.help):

       (setq dired-listing-switches "-al --time-style=locale")

I just tried this (with ls.exe from Gnuwin32), and it produces the
directory listing that I'd expect on my locale.