Re: [h-e-w] no C-spc

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] no C-spc
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:57:06 +0100

Dallman, John wrote:
I thought Cygwin programs used Unix APIs provided by the Cygwin libraries, in particular cygwin1.dll.

Perfectly true.
Presumably the Cygwin emulation layer could read the keyboard in the same way that Linux programs do, although I don't know
what happens in practice.

No, it could not. It can't use the Linux device driver; Cygwin
is not any kind of virtual machine system, so the reading has to be done by Windows' device driver at the hardware level, and Cygwin has to ask Windows for keyboadr input.

Actually Cygwin could nowadays do something very similar to emulate that behaviour with a low level keyboard hook. See WH_KEYBOARD_LL on the net.