Re: [h-e-w] no C-spc

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] no C-spc
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 23:28:04 +0100

Ryan Krauss wrote:
I am having trouble with my emacs install.  I cannot use C-spc to set
the mark.  I tried typing C-h k, and it just sits there while I am
pressing C-spc, as if I am not pressing a key (though I am banging on
it in frustration).  If I press C-h k and then press M-spc, it works
and C-q works, so I don't think the problem is that either my control
or space keys are actually broken in the keyboard.  I am having this
problem with fresh installs of either EmacsW32
(Emacs-22-CvsP070118-EmacsW32-1.37.exe) or the auctex-emacs bundle
(emacs+auctex-w32-2007-01-13.zip), but only on one of my computers (it
works fine on my laptop).

How do I trouble shoot this?  Why would emacs not recognize C-spc?

Thanks,

Ryan

The first step is always to try to start with

   emacs -Q

and see if it works when you start Emacs like that. If it does (and I believe it does, it works for me) then there is a problem in your .emacs. Try removing different parts of it to see what makes C-spc fail.