Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32: emacsclientw start

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32: emacsclientw start
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 00:39:05 +0100

Nelson E. Ingersoll wrote:
Hi,

   I just started using EmacsW32 (Emacs-22-CvsP061130-EmacsW32-1.10).
Using the program emacsclientw to fire up the Emacs server work fine;
however an pop-up window comes up which gets in the way of the actual
Emacs window.  After 7-8 seconds the pop-up window finally closes
automatically.  During part of the time it's open I see that there is a
close button; however, it's not friendly to have to click it to get the
window to go away.

   Is there a way to have the pop-up at least not stay on top of the
Emacs window?

No, there is currently no way to avoid that window. This window is only shown when you are starting Emacs through emscsclient. The next time you call emacsclient this window is not shown.

The purpose of the window is to show that emacsclient is waiting for Emacs server to start. I think that is a good functionality and that is why I added it to the patched version of emacsclient. The unpatched version of emacsclient does not start Emacs automatically and therefore it does not have this window either.

Actually only 2 of those 7-8 seconds are a "waste of time". After emacsclient has got an answer from emacs server it waits only 2 seconds before closing the window. Emacs server is started right after running your emacs startup files.

The reason that emacsclient waits 2 seconds is to give the user a chance to read the message "connected" that is shown those 2 seconds. I think it is fair. What do you think?