Re: [h-e-w] expand-file-name leaves forward slashes

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] expand-file-name leaves forward slashes
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 05:15:52 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > The function you are looking for is `convert-standard-filename'.
>>
>> Yes, that does seem to be what I want. Thanks.
>>
>> I'll see if I can convince ada-mode to use it when it when it needs to :).
>
> Btw, I don't really understand what's wrong with c:/foo/bar style of
> file names that ada-mode needs to mirror the slashes.  Can you
> explain?  I'm afraid you will hit lots of problems if you use
> backslash-style absolute file names in Emacs.  (That is the reason why
> Emacs sets directory-sep-char to `/' in the first place.)

It is because we are executing DOS commands.

In general, the "build" command issues shell commands to compile the
Ada code. It must first cd to the right directory.

When running on "plain windows" (no Cygwin), we are using a DOS shell.
'cd' requires DOS filenames (back slashes); it cannot handle forward
slashes.

The Gnu Ada compiler (GNAT) and Gnu make can handle forward slashes.

So I would only call convert-standard-filename to create the 'cd'
command.

It looks like the definition of this function in w32-fns.el will
detect using Cygwin, which is good.

--
-- Stephe