[h-e-w] Re: new user keybindings

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: new user keybindings
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:35:26 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Are you using a lot of other programs on windows too?
>
> I'm not Raymond, but I do use other programs.
>
> However, I don't see how that matters.  You don't need to go as far as
> CUA to bump into differences: what about C-f (search) and C-s (save)?
> what about C-z (undo) and C-y (redo)?  Are you saying we should remap
> them in Emacs as well, for the uniformity's sake?

Eli, please... Why stretch things into absurdity? Yes, I agree that
for Save, Open (C-o), Search/Find, Undo, Redo and other commands,
there are no uniform conventions in different apps in Windows. Maybe
to some extent in MS products, but they are not uniform either (take
Outlook for example).

But, you cannot deny that C-c, C-v and C-x (in my opinion the most
commonly used keyboard shortcuts) are *extremely* well supported? In
fact, the only apps I have used on Windows that does *not* support
those are Emacs and Oracle's Sql*Plus. Hehe, the funny thing is that
when I first started learning Emacs, I borrowed the Shift/Ctrl +
Insert trick (which comes from MS-DOS, I think), which works both in
Sql*Plus and in Emacs, so I could postpone having to learn Emacs' C-w,
C-y etc.

When I talk to Emacs newbies I tell them that if they plan to use
Emacs, they should try to learn Emacs' standard bindings, but for some
that is a too large hurdle and here CUA mode comes to the rescue.