Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs
Date: 16 Jul 2006 13:18:47 -0500

On Saturday, July 15, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >I don't see any inelegance here.  Care to explain?

>> In my browser, I cannot click on a link from the Wiki
>> because the Wiki site does not have a locator for my
>> copy and my copy is not going to be HTML anyway.
>> References from the Wiki to an HTML copy can bring up
>> the intended subsection of the manual or FAQ directly
>> in my browser.

>So the inelegance is that you cannot click on the reference and get
>the right node of an Info manual presented to you?  If so, then I
>guess it depends on your Web browser; if you use Emacs, for example,
>the problem doesn't exist.

I am still perplexed by Eli's reaction to this.  Even
if I were using emacs w3 as my browser, a link in the
Wiki could still not point to my copy - both because
my copy is not HTML and because the Wiki does not know
its location.

I still think there is some miscommunication going on
here, and I remain unable to discern the nature of it.
Let me say that I am imagining a scenario in which one
is browsing some presentation in the Wiki which might
say something like, "For information on how to ____,
check the [emacs manual].", where "[emacs manual]"
corresponds to a link to a specific relevant
subsection of the manual.  If you click the link in
the Wiki, the specific subsection of the manual shows
up in your browser.  The location in the manual to
which such a link goes can be more precise than just a
node of the manual, as the HTML version of the manual
often provides multiple named anchor tags per node.
Similar operation could apply to the FAQ as well.

The objective is to facilitate the use of references
to the official documents from the Wiki in order to
avoid duplication in the Wiki of information already
well-presented in the official documents.

Regards,
  David V.