Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:55:33 +0300

> From: David Vanderschel <address@hidden>
> Date: 14 Jul 2006 16:28:06 -0500
>
> >Yes.  In addition, if some important information is missing, I'd
> >suggest to ask on emacs-devel why not add it to the manual or the
> >FAQ.  That is, don't automatically add to the wiki something that you
> >think should be in the bundled docs.
>
> I think one of the appealing things about the Wiki is
> that one can make an improvement in the documentation
> happen NOW!

IMHO, timeliness is second to quality, not the other way around.

Also, there are many situations where the right thing is to fix Emacs,
not to document the faulty behavior.

So I think you _want_ to go through channels, but of course I cannot
force people who are convinced in the contrary.

> Furthermore, even if the original person
> who suggests some new documentation does not get it
> quite right, others will come along and fix it.

This method cannot guarantee that this fixing improves quality.  Do
any of the Emacs maintainers read the Wiki and actively participate in
its maintenance?  If not, I seriously doubt the quality and
correctness of the information there.

> The Wiki cannot link to _my_ copies of the manual or the FAQ.  It
> could only reference my copies by node name.  That would not be very
> elegant for the Wiki.

I don't see any inelegance here.  Care to explain?