Re: AW: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: AW: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 22:09:07 +0300

> From: David Vanderschel <address@hidden>
> Date: 13 Jul 2006 10:41:25 -0500
>
> On Tuesday, July 11, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Please, let's not proliferate forked efforts!  If the
> >Emacs FAQ lacks important Windows-specific
> >information, let us add it there, instead of wasting
> >our limited resources on maintaining as yet another
> >separate source of information.
>
> Since the Windows FAQ for Emacs has been around at
> gnu.org for a good long time, I don't see how making
> it better could be regarded as a "forked effort".

It's a fork because it diverts resources from the main effort.  And we
don't have too many resources to work on the Windows port, do we?

> What I perceive as a forking of this sort of
> information is the Win32 stuff to be found in the
> Emacs Wiki.

That, too, is a less than efficient use of our scarce resources, IMHO.

> This is the first call I have seen to completely
> abandon the Windows FAQ.  If the problem is that it
> contains information which is no longer necessary or
> relevant, then cleaning the junk out should not be
> such a problem.

But why do that at all?  We already have a FAQ in Emacs, let's
maintain the information in one piece, in one document.

> It appears that Eli is advocating
> merging what's left into the regular Emacs FAQ.

Yes!

> What
> concerns me about this is that the regular Emacs FAQ
> seems to be even farther out of date than the Windows
> FAQ.  We could be talking about different things; but
> what I know to be the "Emacs FAQ" may be found here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text
> And it says, "This is the GNU Emacs FAQ, last updated
> on 26 October 2001."

That's because the FAQ on the gnu.org site is for the _released_
version of Emacs; it will be updated when Emacs 22.1 will be released.

But the up-to-date version of the FAQ comes with the Emacs
distribution, since the Emacs FAQ is part of the distributed Info
files.  What do you care about outdated versions on the Web if you
have the latest and greatest at your fingertips?